On March 12th the All State Volleyball matches will be held at Auburn-Riverside High School. Our own Olympia Bear, Julia Fleener, will be playing in the 3A/4A match. This is a long-standing event sponsored by the Washington State Volleyball Coaches Association. The 1B/2B match is at 2:00 pm, the 1A/2A match begins at 4:00 pm and the 3A/4A match will start at 6:00 pm. Hope to see you there supporting Julia!
Our off-season conditioning program will kick off on Tuesday, March 8th for all high school players not involved in an OHS Spring sport. We will meet every Tuesday and Thursday after school through the end of May. Join us at the weight room by 2:35 pm, dressed and ready to go. We finish each day at 3:30 pm. We ask that current 8th graders wait until the Summer program begins in late June.
Consistent attendance and hard work brings improved strength, quickness and jumping ability, plus injury prevention, increased confidence, and ultimately…team bonding.
Dates have been set for our Summer volleyball camps. We have sessions for all ages of players this coming June. The Olympia High School coaching staff places a strong emphasis on fundamentals and building individual skills.
- Olympia Bear Camp – High school (entering grades 9th – 12th): 8:30am -1:00pm, Monday, June 20 – Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Click here for more details.
- Olympia Bear Camp – Middle school (entering grades 6th – 8th): 1:30pm – 5:30pm, Monday, June 20 – Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Click here for more details.
- Volleykidz Clinic – Elementary school (entering grades 2nd – 5th): 9:00am – Noon, Thursday, June 23 – Friday, June 24, 2016. Click here for more details.
Registration forms for the camps will be available in early April. If you have any questions contact OHS Head Coach Laurie Creighton.
Starting to plan your summer schedule? Registration for UW Volleyball camps opens on March 1st at 9am and their camps fill up fast. Below are links for several volleyball camps at Universities around Washington.
OHS summer volleyball camps will be held in June 2016. Click here for more info.
Summer Volleyball Camps
- University of Washington Volleyball Camps** (Seattle) – Several options in July
- Northwest University Volleyball Camps** (Kirkland) – July 24-27, 2016
- Saint Martin’s University Volleyball Camps (Olympia) – August 8-11, 2016
- Evergreen State College Volleyball Camp (Olympia) – July 18-22, 2016
- Pacific Lutheran University Volleyball Camps (Tacoma) – June 27-30 & July 5-8, 2016
- Washington State University Volleyball Camps (Pullman) – July 10-13, 2016
- Central Washington University Volleyball Camps (Ellensburg) – July 10-12, 2016
- Eastern Washington University Volleyball Camps (Cheney) – July 6-8, 2016
- Nike Volleyball Camp at Seattle University (Seattle) – Several options in July
**Gold Medal Squared
For those interested in learning more about college financial help read: 5 things to know about hunting for scholarships. This is about academic, financial need, and independent organization scholarships. If your daughter is considering pursuing playing college volleyball, let me know and I can help get that process started. It is NOT to soon to think about it in the freshman or sophomore year.
Former Olympia Volleyball player, Lisa Chulich, a 2010 graduate, made a point to stop by to speak with the players in October. Lisa worked VERY HARD (against many odds) during high school to earn an academic scholarship to the University of Portland. Although a volleyball scholarship was an option, Lisa continued to play outdoor/sand volleyball, train/compete in rock climbing, and hold a job until her college graduation. She ultimately plans to earn an advanced degree.
Right now, Lisa has found a career as a fitness model, which enables her to travel and continue to train, rock climb and compete at an ELITE/world class level. Attached are a few pictures. The first photo shows Lisa as the female cover for the Nike Volleyball and Nike Training catalogs. The second photo is Lisa on the “January-page” of the 2016 Women of Climbing calendar. Finally, the last photo is the Nike website volleyball page. Pretty cool…Lisa is one of the most disciplined and hardest working people I know.
– Coach Creighton
Many of you have heard by now that the 4A Narrows League has disbanded and Olympia High School, along with South Kitsap and Bellarmine, have recently been accepted to a new version of the South Puget Sound League. This “new” league also consists of some of the southern most schools from the old SPSL southern division and totals nine teams. There is also a regeneration of the former North Puget Sound League which is totally independent from the SPSL. All this was necessitated by many south sound schools being reclassified based on this last fall’s enrollment numbers and by a large number of schools opting up to 4A. For the Olympia High School Volleyball program, the gist of this is…we now have the privilege of playing in a very competitive league. This should result in some great volleyball match-in and match-out. I look forward to this new adventure!
Here’s a look at the new SPSL:
FYI – the previous start time for ALL volleyball in the SPSL was 5:30 & 7:15. We will keep you posted as we learn more going forward.
And, remember this quote as we move ahead: “Respect all, fear none!”