Summer conditioning workouts begin on July 3rd at 8:30am in the auxiliary gym/weight room. We invite high school players including next year’s 9th graders to join us. Workouts will last 90 minutes, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday. We will determine after the first week, if any adjustment to the time needs to be made. Potentially, we would meet a few minutes later, if necessary.
The summer open gym/practice/tutoring schedule is 6:30pm, Tuesday and/or Thursday nights in July, at Washington MS, beginning July 6th. This will be an opportunity for skill work, small group tutoring and scrimmages. We are unable to hold open gyms at OHS due to both of our gym floors being refinished this summer. Further details will to come.
REQUIRED CLEARANCE FOR SUMMER
For any high school student to be allowed to participate in summer activities (practices, weight room, open gyms, camps, etc.), the following two requirements must be met:
- A current physical on file with the AD’s office (physicals are valid for 13 months)
- “Assumption of Risk and Permission to Participate” form completed and returned to the OHS Athletics office.
This is our last week of summer workouts. On Friday we will meet at 8:30am for open gym only and no workout. We’ll set up nets and play until 10:30am.
We will be setting up the gyms for tryouts on Sunday, Aug. 21st, at 4:30pm. Players helping should meet in the small gym lobby.
Eligibility clearance is this week. If you don’t have a clearance folder (bright green!) you should still be able to pick them up at the front reception area at the North St. main entrance. They should also now be available in the Commons area, near the AD’s office. Make sure ALL the signature lines are complete!!
The schedule for our upcoming Spring open gyms is as follows. Volleyball will be held in the Auxiliary gym (start times below) and will all end at 4:15pm.
- Tuesday, May 31st – Open play court 1, passing instruction court 2 (Starting at 3:30pm after workouts)
- Thursday, June 2nd* – Open play court 1, serving instruction court 2 (Starting at 3:30pm after workouts)
- Tuesday, June 7th – Open play court 1, setter instruction court 2 (Starting at 2:30pm after school)
- Thursday, June 9th – Open play court 1, hitting instruction court 2 (Starting at 2:30pm after school)
*Please attend the required sign-up meeting after school on Thursday, June 2nd in the Auxiliary gym (whether attending Open gym after the meeting, or not) to sign-up to indicate player interest in the upcoming season, pick-up required paperwork and learn about summer opportunities.
PLEASE NOTE: Athletic clearance is required in order to participate in the upcoming open gyms. You can find the summer clearance packets on the OHS Athletic website.
There will be two more open gyms this summer (see schedule below). They will not include coaching or instruction. As per WIAA rules, we are not allowed to train potential “Bears” in volleyball skills between August 1st and the start of turnout on August 24th. There will be no open gym on August 14th due to floor refinishing.
Summer strength training workouts will continue through August 21st on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 8:30am. Our program involves warm-up, agility, plyometrics, lifting and TRX plus core/ab work. It usually takes about 90-plus minutes.
- Friday, August 7th – open gym (10:00am – 11:10am)
- Friday, August 14th – NO open gym
- Friday, August 21st – open gym (10:00am – 11:30am)
Our Summer Session of strength training and conditioning will be introduced on June 22, 2015 at 8:30am in the Auxiliary gym. We will meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30am – 10:00am throughout the summer. Strength training and conditioning is an integral part of preparation for all players, especially for returning varsity players and those with aspirations of playing at the varsity level. Our weight room is one of the best high school facilities in the state. Consistent attendance AND hard work brings improved strength, quickness and jumping ability, plus injury prevention, increased confidence, and ultimately…team bonding.
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL athletes must be CLEARED for ALL summer participation (workouts and open gyms). Please contact the OHS Athletic Director’s office to complete the process. You must have an updated physical on file with the OHS AD’s office.
We will have open gym at OHS on June 2nd & 4th from 2:35pm – 4:00pm for current 9th – 11th graders. Instruction/feedback and scrimmage time available.
In addition, open gym will be offered a few times following summer weight room workouts (typically on Fridays) and will be open to all incoming freshmen through seniors.
OPEN GYMS AROUND TOWN:
- South Sound Sports Center (SSSC) – Wednesdays and Sundays from 6pm to 9pm ($3 per person)
- The Valley Athletic Club – Sundays 6pm to 8pm in Gym 1 – free for members (need at least 2), $5 visitor fee for non-members under 18). Call 15 minutes ahead of time to have net set up. NOTE: We can also choose Monday-Friday at 7:30pm if we have at least 6 people. If you are interested in setting up another volleyball open gym option at the Valley, email Kenna Canaan to coordinate a new time option.
- Olympia Parks & Rec – call 753-8390 – days/times subject to change