There will be two more open gyms this summer (see schedule below). They will not include coaching or instruction. As per WIAA rules, we are not allowed to train potential “Bears” in volleyball skills between August 1st and the start of turnout on August 24th. There will be no open gym on August 14th due to floor refinishing.
Summer strength training workouts will continue through August 21st on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 8:30am. Our program involves warm-up, agility, plyometrics, lifting and TRX plus core/ab work. It usually takes about 90-plus minutes.
- Friday, August 7th – open gym (10:00am – 11:10am)
- Friday, August 14th – NO open gym
- Friday, August 21st – open gym (10:00am – 11:30am)
Our Summer Session of strength training and conditioning will be introduced on June 22, 2015 at 8:30am in the Auxiliary gym. We will meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30am – 10:00am throughout the summer. Strength training and conditioning is an integral part of preparation for all players, especially for returning varsity players and those with aspirations of playing at the varsity level. Our weight room is one of the best high school facilities in the state. Consistent attendance AND hard work brings improved strength, quickness and jumping ability, plus injury prevention, increased confidence, and ultimately…team bonding.
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL athletes must be CLEARED for ALL summer participation (workouts and open gyms). Please contact the OHS Athletic Director’s office to complete the process. You must have an updated physical on file with the OHS AD’s office.
We will have open gym at OHS on June 2nd & 4th from 2:35pm – 4:00pm for current 9th – 11th graders. Instruction/feedback and scrimmage time available.
In addition, open gym will be offered a few times following summer weight room workouts (typically on Fridays) and will be open to all incoming freshmen through seniors.
OPEN GYMS AROUND TOWN:
- South Sound Sports Center (SSSC) – Wednesdays and Sundays from 6pm to 9pm ($3 per person)
- The Valley Athletic Club – Sundays 6pm to 8pm in Gym 1 – free for members (need at least 2), $5 visitor fee for non-members under 18). Call 15 minutes ahead of time to have net set up. NOTE: We can also choose Monday-Friday at 7:30pm if we have at least 6 people. If you are interested in setting up another volleyball open gym option at the Valley, email Kenna Canaan to coordinate a new time option.
- Olympia Parks & Rec – call 753-8390 – days/times subject to change
Our off-season conditioning program is currently taking place for all high school players not involved in an OHS spring sport. Congratulations to those who’ve consistently participated the last few weeks. We meet every Tuesday and Thursday through the end of May. Please join us…we finish each day at 3:30! Consistent attendance AND hard work brings improved strength, quickness and jumping ability, plus injury prevention, increased confidence, and ultimately…team bonding. Our last Spring conditioning session will be Thursday, May 28th followed by one hour of open gym (no instruction). We ask that current 8th graders wait until the summer program to begin. Our Summer Session will be introduced on June 22nd, at 8:30am. Click here for Summer Session Conditioning details.